I’m sure by now you’ve discovered my love for mod styled things when it comes to my kid’s room. Well, not just my kid’s room, but TC isn’t really into that look, so it’s a bit of a battle trying to convince him to buy anything in that style. I can’t tell you the amount of times we’ve stood in the middle of Home Sense arguing over the need for a $19.99 vase. You’d think we were talking about the holy grail, or at least something with a higher price point.
Anyway, I fell in love with these bookends on etsy one day:
But alas, TC would not bite at the price tag.
Luckily, I have a very handy father-in-law with a well equipped workroom (our postage stamp garage barely fits the cars, let alone the chop saw that’s never been put away), who was more than willing to help us take on this project. So, last time we ventured home, TC, Father-In-Law, Mother-In-Law (who’s major function in this operation was documenting the fact that it took 3 of us to use the belt sander), and I took on this project. Mother-In-Law had surprisingly saved the wood from the signs we used for our wedding:
Basically, because I do realise this is a craft blog and I’ve yet to take step-by-step photos, I drew the shapes of the birds out on the wood, and cut them out using the scroll saw. The bases are roughly 8 inches by 4 inches, and the birds sit on top. Father-in-Law was the brains behind the logistics, because quite frankly, when it comes to drill presses, it’s safer for everyone’s limbs if I just say ‘this needs to look like that’, and then step back. So, dowels were cut, holes were drilled, and eventually we ended up with something that looks like this:
You can see where I drew the angles of the legs on the birds. This will guide the drill press that I know all of you have.
So, a few months of procrastinating later, these were re-assembled on the opposite coast, painted and modge-podged (everything nursery related seems to end in modge podge).
And voila, the final product: