Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tofu Fried Rice

This has been my go-to rice dish for quite some time now.  Originally it was from my copy of Help! My Apartment Has A Kitchen, but I’ve long since stopped using the book.   I was going to make home made spring rolls to go with it, but lets face it, I’m lazy, so I’ll save those for another day.  The Costco ones are a great accompaniment.  I’m sure Martha just serves those anyway.

fliedlice

For the record, fried rice is not the least bit photogenic.  Least it could do is smile.

Again, if you’re one of those ‘think ahead’ people, you could marinade the tofu in some soya sauce to give it some flavour.

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1 pkg extra firm tofu
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped mushrooms (I like to use shitake and cremini)
1 cup frozen peas (or you could use one of those frozen pea/carrot combo bags)
3 cups rice
1/4 cup soya sauce
garlic
1 tsp ginger (optional)

Directions:

1.  Scramble the eggs until the yolk is fully cooked, set aside.
2.  Fry onion until soft, and mushrooms and cook until slightly brown.
3.  Add rice, peas, tofu soya sauce, garlic and ginger (if using) and stir until well mixed and rice is evenly coated. Cook until tofu and peas are fully heated.
4.  Mix in egg.  Serve.

This freezes well and makes great low fat lunches.

No Toughest Critic Rating….he’s stuck eating this anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment