Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Three Cheese Baked Penne

This is one of those dinners that's so good that you really question brushing your teeth afterward because you want to keep that taste in your mouth....I said question...

Penne

If you're a meat eater (like me) and eat tuna (not me), then it might make a good addition to the the dish for those 'I can't eat a dinner without smeat' people.

Ingredients:

6 cups dried penne (you could also use macaroni)
1 500g pkg of marscarpone cheese.
2 tbsp dijon mustard
250g grated fontina cheese (I grated a 1" wedges worth...not sure what it actually yielded)
1/2 cup grated romano cheese
garlic*
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add penne and cook to desired tenderness.
2. Drain water and return to pot.
3. Heat the marscarpone until melted in a microwave safe dish.  Pour over pasta.
4. Add mustard, grated fontina, garlic, salt and pepper and 1/4 cup of the romano cheese.  Mix well.
5. Transfer mix to an oven safe dish and sprinkle with the remaining romano.
6. Preheat oven to 400F, and cook for 25-30 until cheese starts to brown on top and the rest is bubbling.

I made a penne dinner (with a homemade Alfredo gruyere sauce) the night before and assembled the dish from the extra noodles so it was ready for oven cooking today.  It keeps well overnight in the fridge as it helps the garlic fully penetrate the cheese...and we all know I love me some garlic.

This recipe is based on the one from this book:  Easy Vegetarian.

Toughest Critic Rating: 9.6  (with a few implied gold stars - insert happy clap).

On an unexpected note, Toughest Critic and I were sitting down for dinner when we looked out the window and saw a new neighbor:

deer

Thought for a second I stumbled into a Jack Hanna special.

No comments:

Post a Comment